Snow Treasure and World War II alike

Do you want to read a story of adventure, excitement and tons of historical background? Well if so, Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan is the perfect historical fiction piece for you. As most of you know, historical fiction is a genre that takes place during an event that really happens, however the storyline behind it is fictional. A story of 40 children who save their country (Riswyk, Norway) by carrying 75 lbs of gold on their sleds everyday, doesn't exactly spell out "true story," but it does make the cut for a story that all students learn to love. They not only relate to the characters, but they get the chance to learn about World War II in the process. Because most of you have not read this novel, I have taken it upon myself to provide you with a lengthy summary (the first post) and several posts related to World War II. This is the general content in my blog. Enjoy!

Friday, June 11, 2010

Star Spangled Banner

At the end of Snow Treasure, by: Marie McSwigan. Rolls (Uncle Victor's first mate) lends the polish boy his cornet and he begins practicing the Star Spangled Banner as they sail awat into the sunset.

Task: Your job is to listen/read the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner. What does this song represent to you? Reveal your thoughts by creating a 1. Star Spangled-Rap or 2. a Star Spangled Poem.

Star Spangled Banner


1 comment:

  1. I'm not much of a rapper- but I do love the national anthem. Unfortunately, I don't think my appreciation really goes that deep. I think the song is very well written, both in lyrics and the music itself- and it all comes together nicely. The one image that does strike me in the song is the various references, and even just the connotations the song has, all towards those soldiers who fought and are fighting for our country. I have several family members who served, and a number of friends as well, and the song always brings this to mind.

    I guess the other thing that always gets me is something coming from playing high school hockey. For the national anthem before every game, our coach made us line up in numerical order, and we had to all stand with our stick in one hand, helmet in the other, and weren't allowed to move one inch until the last note of the song played out. To this day, I still myself doing that (but not always holding a helmet and stick...).

    ReplyDelete