Snow Treasure and World War II alike

Do you want to read a story of adventure, excitement and tons of historical background? Well if so, Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan is the perfect historical fiction piece for you. As most of you know, historical fiction is a genre that takes place during an event that really happens, however the storyline behind it is fictional. A story of 40 children who save their country (Riswyk, Norway) by carrying 75 lbs of gold on their sleds everyday, doesn't exactly spell out "true story," but it does make the cut for a story that all students learn to love. They not only relate to the characters, but they get the chance to learn about World War II in the process. Because most of you have not read this novel, I have taken it upon myself to provide you with a lengthy summary (the first post) and several posts related to World War II. This is the general content in my blog. Enjoy!

Monday, June 14, 2010


Which book cover would intrigue you more as a reader and why? Which do you think provides you with a more detailed insight as to what the book's about?

2 comments:

  1. I think the first one would intrigue me most as a reader. I think the images provided, such as the girl sledding in the foreground, provides an interesting look into the book. I feel as though I am more connected to the cover of the first book compared to the rest of them. I think the second book cover provides the most detailed look into the book. The person sledding in the foreground and her clothing, as well as the people standing in the background, and their clothing, provide detail as to the time period when the story takes place. The people in the background also show some interaction that is going to take place within the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually agree that the first one appeals to me most. Maybe it's the stereotypical guy in me, but it seems to cast more of an intriguing image on the story. The design is more fluid, potentially alluding to more of an adventurous story. I also like how the soldiers (at least I think they're soldiers) in the background are cast in shadow and represented by darkness. The layout is also much more simple and clean looking, which I tend to prefer when it comes to book covers (and yes, I totally have opinions on book covers- work at a bookstore- you'll notice there is serious room for improvement in designing these images).

    ReplyDelete